Friday 15 April 2016

Temporary suspension of play!

Due to me not feeling too well for a couple of days,we didn't play on Thursday night.
I've been put on a course of steroids for a few days,and have a "scan" booked on Tuesday,next week,so hopefully everything will be okay,and normal play will be resumed by next Thursday.
Brian is painting and basing his WW2 stuff,and is enjoying getting back to his old ways.Dave is "badgering" away at the Assaye stuff,and Paul assures me he is going to "get the paints out" and start to either finish his 7YW Austrians, or his WW2 Desert stuff-lots going on,I'm the only one with nothing to paint(at the moment!!!!)
I've been reading some back-copies of the Wargames magazines,and am quite amazed at the number of "new" rule-sets that are coming out every month(or is that day/week?)-do we need them? surely clubs and groups,and individuals can adopt and adapt the myriad of commercial rules on the market already, to suit their needs,because,as has been proved in the past,no one set will ever satisfy everybody! Abraham Lincoln's speech about "pleasing everybody" springs to mind,still,I suppose the Dinosaurs didn't progress,and look what happened to them!!
Roll on Thursday(I hope!)

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Alan,I take it badly when I'm not well,as I'm usually 100%-not gaming is getting me down!!
      johnc(william)

      Delete
  2. Hope you get back to sorts asap.

    As to the tsunami of rules flooding the hobby; no, we don't need them. That's my honest opinion.

    If I was being really honest. I'd say that the more options there are in this hobby, then the more chance for people to simply lose themselves and get nowhere.

    There's too many rules. Too many manufacturers/traders. Too many niche periods/genres. Too many scales/sizes. Too many shows. Too much exposure on the Internet and magazines, and its making the hobby less about playing the games but more about display standard modelling and painting.

    But that's just my opinion ... And I have been known to be called a Moan-Ar*e by friends!

    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy,glad you agree with me-you'll see at "Muster" what I mean by simple rules,no bogging down in fine detail,just good fun,after all it is supposed to be a "Game"'
      johnc(william)-thanks for your good wishes too.

      Delete
  3. Hope you are feeling more chipper soon. I don't play many games (preferring the collecting and painting), but I find I can't get on with too many new rule sets. WRG Renaissance for me, they always provide a decent game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments and wishes Springinsfeld-WRG?now that brings back memories!!-I haven't forgotten that I said I would try and get our "Rules" down onto paper and onto the blog,it's all about time,time and time!!
      johnc(william)

      Delete
  4. Get well soon! I really appreciate your blog, great stuff. (and for goodness sake, buy more toys. "nothing to paint"! That's your problem right there...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug-thanks for your comment-well,I have ordered some Norman archers and a whole Viking army!!-should be with me early May,so retail therapy might be the key to good health!
      johnc(william)

      Delete